Sunday, August 18, 2013

         I used to be a type A personality.  I admit it!  As a teacher, that meant that I was the first one to school (when it was still dark outside) and the last one to leave.  It also meant that I had litttle time to just chatter with collegues; I had a to-do list and I was always on the go.  
     Then I married a type B man.   The first thing he put a stop to was working past 6 pm and since I taught in a rough neighborhood, I listened to him.  Then he taught me to take time to relax without guilt....well he tried anyway (for years I still felt guilty)!    
     My relaxation is reading and a nightly bath with a glass of wine.  Since I’ve found Pinterest and blogging, I have to add those too!  Yours may be exercising, walking, running, scrapbooking, photography, knitting, bird watching, sports, cooking, even watching TV….housekeeping does NOT count!  But relaxing is necessary so you can be on your toes the next day.  No one but a teacher realizes how much it takes out of you each day.  We teach because we love what we do (it’s certainly not for the paycheck) but even things we love can be draining.  Psychologists will tell us that even happy things can be stressful (marriage, baby, moving to a new house or school).  You NEED this time each day!
     19 years later I think I've found the middle road.  I've realized that as teachers we will NEVER get our to-do lists done.  I had friends who stayed at work until 3am once to get it all done...did they?  No!   I still get all panicky prior to the first day when I think of all the stuff I still want to accomplish But looking back(I've taught almost every grade up to 8th but came back to the little hugging guys), I have never had a student die because my room wasn't fully done on their first day.  It's true!  As long as their desks are ready, your desk is organized and you have your routines and procedures in place, they will do well.  In fact, working changes or additions in day to day works well for them too; it keeps their interest and teaches them to look pay attention to details. 

     So….take a deep breath.  Push down that panic if everything’s not exactly the way you envisioned….and give yourself half an hour to go relax!  I promise you'll be better for it!

So tell me…what do you do to relax each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment