Sunday, August 11, 2013

A long time ago....(well, actually it began last week)....
In a Galaxy, far, far away...
(OK, well, really....in Florida, good ole USA)...

Anyway, it's here!  My blog!  
It's about teaching Kindergarten
and wrestling with the Common Core State Standards.
It's about making learning fun and still challenging students!
It's about throwing away last years lesson plans (OK...put them deep in the closet in case you're audited).  It's in search of new and fun ideas to teach some new and old concepts, and it's about building a firm foundation for 17 students at a time!

They all think they're Princess Leia, Queen Amidala, or Anakin, anyway, so....and yes, every now and then you get a child who acts like Chewie or Jar Jar Binks!  Seriously, though...aren't we hoping that each child will turn out to be as cute as an Ewok, as sweet as Padme, and quick to learn as Luke?  Secretly, aren't we all dreading getting a Darth Maul or General Grievous (did I lose you there)?    
   
Unfortunately, not all of us work for a General Ackbar; some of us feel like we're working for Senator Palpatine. Some days, parents can act more like Jabba the Hutt or Sy Snootles, although we're all hoping for Qui-Gon Jinn or Beru Lars (Luke's adoptive mother).  And myself?  On my best days, I hope to be Shmi Skywalker or Mace Windu and yet I aspire to be Yoda....on my worst days, I come home in tears, feeling like I was more like Darth Vader.  

Yep...we're all there...in six movies and a ton of cartoons, games and novels!  The Star Wars galaxy, right in our classrooms, albeit with no weapons or Death Star....although that is what standardized tests make me think of, but let's leave that for another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment